Shabby Blog Wheels on the Bus

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

On Reading

Both of the kids are reading fluently now.

It may seem like this for everyone -- but to me, it seems like this just happened overnight.

One day I'm teaching phonic sounds and the next they're reading entire books aloud to me and their daddy. It will never get old, and I'll never get over the fact that I helped teach them to read!

Of course, they need motivation to learn, as well -- nearly every child does. I've learned what type of subjects they like to read about and supply them.

In Mr. Tinker's case, he LOVES Snap Circuits -- it's his favorite toy of choice right now. (Has been for a year.) He sharpened his reading skills reading Snap Circuit technical manuals. He eats it up! In no time he was reading words with ease such as "indicator," "display," and "diode."

Miss Artsy loves to read 1) girly things and 2) books about animals. I keep her pretty stocked on Dr. Seuss books, as well as Fancy Nancy and Mo Willems titles, as well.

Here are some of her favorites:













Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman




















Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman













Cat the Cat Who Is That? by Mo Willems













Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever


























Dude: Fun with Dude and Betty by Lisa Pliscou













Dick and Jane stories













Eloise Wilkin Stories


What I have found is that it's a lot easier to find books that our daughter loves to read than it is to find books for our son. He wants nothing girly, nothing animal-themed, nothing too "babyish." Most everything in the subject matter he likes (adventure stories, science, fantasy) is a bit past his reading level. Just more incentive to keep on learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment